Sophie Blackall Illustration

Drawings and Snippets and Breaking News, (but more snippets than breaking news).

Friday, September 17, 2010

I Have a New Penguin

He is going to take pride of place in a window case I'm installing this afternoon at the Brooklyn Public Library as part of Drawn in Brooklyn, an exhibition of art from children's books. (More on that soon.) Only problem is he needs a name. And a top hat. But I have the latter covered. As for names we have Percival, Floyd, Cuthbert, Napoleon and Wiley on the table. He will be in residence until January and I have no doubt people will come in flocks and droves and rabbles to see him (on the mezzanine, towards Science and Technology), so we have to get this right. All suggestions entertained.

15 comments:

Dia said...

From your list, I guess Wiley would be easier to remember for the public. And it is more affectionate.

I have a similar problem. I've been thinking for a month about a name for my cat and haven't found yet the suitable one :D

Mr Percival said...

Roger. Because he's stuffed. Buggered.

Susan said...

He looks like a "Winthrop" to me...

Mel said...

I love penguins so so much ;)

Hubert would fit to him, I think!

xo, Mel

http://mel-lifesalabyrinth.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

keith..how could you think of anything else?

Amy Farrier said...

Floyd, he's totally a Floyd. Just something about his belly and (taxidermied) expression. Wish I were in NY for the exhibition!

35jupe said...

No opinion on the name, but apparently at the 4th International Penguin Conference, penguin researchers decided to call a group of penguins on land a huddle and when floating about on sea a raft.

Cool, huh? http://www.adelie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FAQs/collective_name.htm

Anonymous said...

Winfield the Wondrous, Water-Enjoying, Well-fed, White-chested, Winter Penguin

Maia said...

I like Floyd too. Or Aloysius.
If by chance we are in NY in Jan, we will definitely stop in to meet him. I have always wanted a penguin, you lucky girl!

IribĂș. said...

I really like Floyd!

somerled said...

Hm! I happen to know that it is not a "he" penguin but a "she" penguin. I think she should be called POLLY.

Giorgia. said...

hello Sophie!
I'm Giorgia and I come from Italy!
I really love your works and your books as well!!!

Would be nice if you will have time to look my blog for an opinion about my works!

http://georgette-giorgiapanillustrateur.blogspot.com/

Thank you.
Giorgia

Mayra said...

I'm quite partial to Percival. He seems like a very tight-laced sort.

natalie thiele said...

Percival, Floyd, Cuthbert, Napoleon and Wiley... I can't choose! They are all perfect names for a penguin.

Anonymous said...

...maybe....Dinsmore.....